Learn the basics of the rite of tea in an authentic teahouse situated in one of Kyoto’s major geisha neighbourhoods.
The rite of tea is conducted in a space that is distanced from the hectic everyday world. It provides a means to forget our worldly worries and find peace and relaxation in your heart. The environment constitutes an other-worldly atmosphere, transferring you to a realm away from society into an event that is guided by gratitude, mutual respect, and compassion.
Let yourself be guided by seasoned non-Japanese tea ceremony instructors in educated English, on what tea ceremony actually is and how a bowl of tea is traditionally prepared.
Your instructors have trained in-, and taught the rite of tea for decades and, while they understand your point of view as an outsider, they can provide targeted answers and insights to your questions about Japan and its tradition.
What is included in this demonstration?
I greatly enjoyed the tea ceremony workshop. I had no idea going in the extent to which every action, object and word of the tea ceremony has such a rich and symbolic history. The workshop helped me understand not only the tea ceremony tradition, but also shed light on the history of Japanese culture more broadly.
Pricing and availability.
(Leisurely Q&A available after the session)
Every Wednesday at 14:00 and 17:00.
Use the contact form below to make your inquiry.
Bookings should be made at least 2 weeks prior to participation.
- This is a group session and can be shared with other persons.
- This demonstration is conducted in a traditional straw mat room. To sit comfortably, bringing trousers or a long skirt is recommended.
- Please bring a pair of white socks to wear during the service.
- Persons with disabilities or difficulties to sit on the floor for an extended period of time may contact us for alternate facilitation.
- The maximum capacity for this activity is 12 persons.
- Should you wish to book a private session, inquire with us for availability and rates.
- Please refer to our terms and conditions for more information on reservations.