A Day With A Tea Master
Experience a day in the life of a Tea Master
Join a tea master and Experience the preparations for a formal tea occasion
Spend the day with tea master Tyas Sōsen and assist with the preparations for your tea occasion. Experience a day in the life of a tea master. In the morning we will visit the flower shop to get seasonal flowers, visit a traditional sweetsmaker to purchase the sweets for the occasion, and discover the amazing fragrances of the local incense woods dealer. We will also pass by the local shrine to obtain the holy well-water which we will use to make tea.
In the afternoon we will put the items we’ve purchased to use as I will request you to assist me with the preparations for our tea occasion later that day. You will get to arrange the flowers, arrange the sweets, and help me with setting up the tea chamber.
Finally I will formally serve you a bowl of thick tea – koicha, and you may, if you wish, try your hand at preparing a bowl of thin tea yourself.
Tea Master experience Itinerary
The morning: shopping for the necessary items.
9:00 | We meet at The Tea Crane, our tea house.
9:30 | We take a stroll through the imperial palace as we make our way to the flower shop.
10:30 | On our way back we pass by the shrine to receive some divine water.
11:00 | We visit the sweetsmaker and the incense shop.
12:00 | Lunchtime.
The afternoon: The tea ritual.
13:00 | We begin with the preparations for the tea ritual.
14:00 | Thick tea – koicha ceremony.
15:30 | Thin tea – usucha ceremony.
16:30 | End of the activity.
Lunch can be enjoyed in a restaurant nearby of your own choosing. Your host will make several suggestions for local lunch venues. Lunch is not included in the activity. However, should you wish to include lunch and enjoy this at The Tea Crane in the fashion of the tea ceremony, we offer a traditional lunch box meal in the kaiseki or shojin (buddhist vegetarian) style, skillfully prepared by a trained Japanese chef.
Add a lunchbox option: Availability starting at JPY 5,000.
(Please include your requirements for lunch in the application form comments)
one whole day (9am ~ 4:30pm)
USD 500 per person.
(Starting from a party of 2 persons)
max 6 persons
(inquire for sessions with larger groups)
The Tea Crane
424-2 Kasugachō, Kamigyōku, Kyoto, 602-8023 JAPAN
- The budget for flowers included in the participation fee is for the flowers used during the service on that day only. Should the guest wish to buy additional flowers for personal use, then this can be down at his/her own cost.
- The budget for handmade traditional wagashi sweets is for one sweet per person only. Should the guest require more items to take home as a gift or for personal use, then this should be done at his/her own expense.
- The host will have incense at his disposal for that day’s tea ceremony. During the visit to the incense-woods store, no budget is foreseen for purchases necessary for that day’s ceremony. The guests will be able to obtain incense for personal use, or partially for use during the tea ceremony if requested, at their own expense.
- The tea (thin tea and thick tea) is available at The Tea Crane and will be available for use during the tea ceremony.
- Dress-code: formal to semi-formal Western dress, or Kimono are both allowed. When participating in Western dress, please wear long trousers, while refraining from coming in shorts or a short skirt.
Please also bring clean white socks.
- Since most of the items purchased that day are for consumption during the tea ceremony, we can only allow what was purchased by the guest at his/her own expense to be taken home after the activity.
- It is possible to take pictures during the activity. However, do not let it interfere with the progress of the ceremony. Please abide by the instruction given by your host.
Pricing and Payment
Reservations should be paid in advance. Upon making a reservation, the booking party will receive a PayPal invoice via email, which allows for a wide range of secure payment methods. Your booking is confirmed only when your payment has been received.
For guests who, for articulate reasons, are somehow restricted to timely pay the online invoice, we can occasionally make an exception. For those guests, cash and credit card payment at the time of visit can be arranged.
As a general rule, the payment confirmation from PayPal will serve as your receipt of payment. Should for specific reasons a handwritten or other formal receipt be necessary, please inform us ahead of time. We reserve the right to refuse requests for an alternative receipt on the day of the session.
Cancellations may be made until JST 6:00 pm, 7 days prior to the date of your reserved session. A full 100% refund will be issued.
Cancellations received within 1 week to 2 days prior to your session will be refunded for 50%.
Cancellations made within 2 days from your scheduled session, on the day, or no-show will not be refunded.
PayPal service fees charged during the initial transaction may be deducted from the total amount refunded.
Refunds will be issued via PayPal within 30 days from the scheduled activity date.
We reserve the right to cancel any reservations before their scheduled time of commencement. Full refunds without deduction of service fees will be issued through PayPal.
By visiting our site and/ or making a reservation with us, you engage in our “Service” and agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Service”, “Terms”), including those additional terms and conditions and policies referenced herein and/or available by hyperlink. These Terms of Service apply to all users of the site, including without limitation users who are browsers, vendors, customers, merchants, and/ or contributors of content.